English grammar quiz game to practice using the passive voice for ESL learners. Click the play button to begin.
- Active Voice: Tom wrote the book.
- Passive Voice: The book was written by Tom.
In the above examples, the passive voice takes control away from the subject (Tom) and gives it to the object (the book). While it is generally advisable to write in the active voice in English, the passive voice has multiple functions in the English language.
- It can be useful when we to place focus on the object, not the subject.
- When we do not know who performed the action, or do not want to say who, we use the passive voice. For example – A new teacher was assigned.
- The passive voice can make sentences sound more formal and less personal. For example – A decision has been taken to expel you.