https://www.eslgamesplus.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/kitten-thumb.jpg 176 250 ESL Games PLUS https://www.eslgamesplus.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/esl.png ESL Games PLUS2019-08-21 13:42:482019-08-21 13:42:48Present Perfect versus Simple Past Tense – English Grammar Quiz Game for kids
Present Perfect versus Simple Past Tense – English Grammar Quiz Game for kids
Interactive ESL grammar game to practice and develop skills in using the present perfect and simple past tenses in English. Click the play button to begin.
Present perfect vs. Simple Past – First of all, the present perfect and simple past tenses are all about the past. Secondly, Americans do not always make the distinction between the present perfect and simple past tense. However, in British English, there are very clear guidelines on when to use the simple past tense versus the present perfect tense. While the simple past is easier to use, the present perfect is a little trickier. Read More
This grammar game is one activity that helps practice distinguishing between usages of the two. Here are a few guidelines for using them:
- The simple past tense is used for actions that began in the past and finished at a definite time in the past.
- For example – I lived in China for 12 years. This sentence suggests that you lived in China but now live elsewhere.
- The present perfect is used for actions that occur at an indefinite time in the past. It is also used when the time in the past is not irrelevant to us.
- For example – I have done my homework. I do not think telling you when I did it is of much use.
- The present perfect is also for actions that began in the past and continued into the present. We usually use the words ‘for’ and ‘since’ in the sentence.
- Example 1: I have lived in China for 12 years. This sentence suggests that the act of living in China has not stopped.
- Example 2: I have lived in China since