- Topic: Months, Festivals Words & Sentences ESL Lesson
- Vocabulary: months of the year- January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December. Festivals - Christmas, Halloween, New Year’s Day, birthday. Ordinal Numbers – First, second, third, fourth, fifth, twentieth, twenty-first.
- Grammar: In order to change a cardinal number to ordinal numbers, we add suffixes such as ‘-st, -nd, -rd, -th’ to the end. We get numbers like 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. This shows us the position of a number in an order. We use ordinal numbers for dates to tell us what day it is in the month.
- This lesson also focuses on another point which is using capital letters at the beginning of the months of the year and names of festivals.
Ordinal vs. Cardinal Numbers
- Halloween is on October 31st. (ordinal numbers)
- There are 31 days in October. (cardinal numbers)
Capital Letters at Start of Months & Festivals
- My birthday is on May 2nd. NOT My birthday is on may 2nd.
- When is Christmas? NOT When is christmas?
- When is Halloween? NOT When is halloween?